Friday, January 4, 2013

Wrapping up 2012 and looking forward to 2013

Something exciting happened for me last month.  I was contacted by a lady who had seen my "Smoky Mountain High" at the Columbus Artists' Guild Member Show last June.  She said she and her husband had really liked it and had been talking about it ever since, and she asked if it was still available.  Well, long story short, she bought the piece for her husband as a Christmas gift. 

There are always mixed feelings when I sell a piece.  Most of my art quilts take weeks and sometimes months to complete.  It truly feels like "birthing" a baby, and by the time I'm finished, there's a real emotional connection.  So, when one of them goes to a new home, there's always a little separation anxiety.  I have to remind myself that it's a good thing--that someone else saw something of value in what I created, and my "child" will have a good home and be appreciated.   I have my photos to remember them by.

With the end of 2012, I sat down and took stock of what I had accomplished this past year.  I began the year with my first Trunk Show for the Early Bird Quilters in Conyers, GA.  I was somewhat apprehensive going into it, but it was great.  I'm not a particularly outgoing person (actually, I consider myself to be an introvert), so a friend from the group, who happens to be their program chairman, had to really twist my arm.  But, in the end, I enjoyed it very much, and thanks to Barbara, I was launched on a new path.  Since that time, I've done several more talks and I have several more lined up for this year--two later this month.

I also learned to ice-dye fabric this year and that has been a real treat.  I've even been able to sell some of it through Sunday Best Quiltworks in Ellerslie, GA--thanks Linda and Teresa.  Now I have money to buy more fabric to dye. 

This past year was also very good to me in the form of awards from art and quilt shows.  I'm looking forward to entering more work this year.  I even had a photo of one of my pieces (the same "Smoky Mountain High") published in Machine Quilting Unlimited magazine in the Nov/Dec issue.

So, the sale in December was icing on the cake--a great way to end the year.

As I look forward to 2013, I have several Trunk Shows lined up.  I'll be in Dallas, GA with the Silver Comet Stitchers the 21st of this month and in Newnan, GA with The Common Threads Guild on the 28th. 

Most exciting will be a solo exhibit of my work at the new Southeastern Quilt & Textile Museum in Carrollton in April and May--more details about that soon.  I hope to get at least 2 new pieces done in time for that.  I've already started the first one.  I'll try to get some photos along the way so I can show you my process.  Of course, my process is ever-changing, but that's okay.  If you're not growing, you're rusting in place.

I hope everyone has a great 2013.  I look forward to sharing mine with you.  

No comments:

Post a Comment