Saturday, August 31, 2013

Exhibit Ends

Today is the last day of my solo exhibit at the Southeastern Quilt & Textile Museum.  It has been a wonderful experience for me.  I've met some great people, made some new friends, and especially enjoyed working with Beverly Hammack, Norma West, April Carlson, and Jennifer.  I so appreciate the opportunity to hang all my work in one space and have people actually come to see it.

It's going to be a bit of a bummer to have to take it all down, roll it up, and bring it home.  But, let's face it, each piece is like one of my children, so I guess it's time they all came home.

September will be hectic.  I'll have one piece in the competition at the GA Quilt Show and another will be part of the SAQA Regional Exhibit there Sept 19-21.  Then, I have to deliver several pieces to the GA Nat'l Fair in Perry, which opens in October.  I'm doing a Trunk Show for the East Cobb Guild on the 27th.  And squeezed into September is also a 5-day class at the John C. Campbell Folk School in NC.

 I'm taking a drawing class and I hope to break down that wall that keeps telling me I can't draw.  There must be some secret or trick I can learn that will give me the courage to put pencil to paper and produce marks that resemble something.  Surely there's hope--it can't really be something that you're either born with or not, like blue eyes or being double-jointed.  I'm like a kid with all my supplies ready and waiting for the first day of school.  Wish me luck!

I finished a new piece recently and thought I'd share it here.  I call it "End of Day" and it's based on several photos I took of a beautiful sunset here in the country many years ago.  The sky changed color almost minute by minute as we hurried from place to place, trying to get the best shot.  It was all over in such a short time and I don't think I've ever seen another one nearly as spectacular. 


No comments:

Post a Comment