Saturday, September 21, 2013

GA Quilt Show

Yesterday, I attended the GA Quilt Show in Marietta.  I had entered one art quilt in the competition and I also have a piece in the GA/SC Regional SAQA Exhibit, which will be traveling with the Sewing and Quilt Expo around the country for the next year.  This was the opening of that exhibit and I was anxious to see what our group had produced.

It is an awesome showing  and I am honored to be a part of it.  There is a wonderfully diverse group of artists and styles represented.  The theme is "Under Georgia Lina Skies", which left a lot of room for interpretation and I think that helps make it such a great mix. 

My competition piece, "Where the Pavement Ends" took a third place in the Small Wallhanging category. 
Since the category doesn't separate art quilts and is based strictly on size, it means there's a big range of work.  I don't see how my piece got any recognition, after seeing the first and second place winners.  They were both densely quilted with incredible skill--the kind of quilts you're used to seeing in the big shows that make your mouth drop in awe.  How my little landscape squeezed out a ribbon, I don't know because there were other entries more like #1 and 2. 

I really wish the show would have a category that is just for art quilts, as it seems to be a comparison of apples and oranges.  Do we look at it for its artistic merit or for its technical wizardry.  Of course, the technically awesome ones are also artistic, but it's a different animal.

I will be doing a Trunk Show for the East Cobb Quilt Guild next Friday morning.  I'm a bit nervous about that since they have some very gifted art quilters in their group.  Hope they won't be bored with my work. 

No comments:

Post a Comment