Sunday, October 13, 2013

GA National Fair and Expressions of Meriwether

The Georgia National Fair closes today and my 3 entries this year won a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place.  That's awesome, but what puzzles me always is that I apparently have no concept of how to judge my own work.  The piece that won a blue ribbon was my 3rd choice and I really didn't expect to win anything with it. 
"Sanctuary" is  made from a 1/2 yard piece of my ice-dyed fabric.  I hung it on my design wall, occasionally turning it, until it began to look like something to me.  Then, I did a little cropping, added thread painting for the tree trunks and limbs, the grass and water, and used a piece of fabric I had previously painted for the sky.  I liked it, but I would have never guessed it would beat out the other two entries.
"Lotus Pond" was awarded 2nd place.  It certainly involved a lot more work and different techniques and materials.  I thought it was the best thing I've done, so far.  The big news is that it is now sold, thanks to its exposure at the fair. 
"Best Friends Forever" got the 3rd place.  It, too, took a lot of time to complete.  I posted previously about how it was made, showing photos of it in progress.  It's definitely a favorite of mine, considering the subject matter.

Next Saturday, October 19th, I will participate in a county-wide event featuring lots of different interests and activities.  It's called "Expressions of Meriwether" and will include tours of historic buildings and demos by a potter, photographer, and interior designer in Greenville, pony rides and building birdhouses in Luthersville, beekeeping, homing pigeons and cooking classes in Lone Oak, as well as ballroom dance classes and wine tasting in Warm Springs.  Railroad Days and a car show will take place in Manchester and bluegrass music and lots of antiques will be on display in Woodbury. 

I will be exhibiting my work at the Community Building in Gay, GA from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m, along with a local photographer.  The Community Building is 1/2 mile north of the traffic light on GA Hwy 85, beside and a bit behind the fire station.  Sounds like a great time for the whole family, with something for everyone.  Ya'll come.



 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment