Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Grandma's Brag Book

Today I'd like to share with you pictures of my grandchildren--well, most of my grandchildren.  I have five (2 boys and 3 girls), but only 4 have been immortalized in fabric, so far.  Oddly enough, the only one that hasn't been done yet is the oldest.  I know what I want to do with him and I will get to it--just don't rush me, okay?

The first is titled "A Boy, A Rock, and A Puddle".  It was based on a photo of Mitch at about age 2.  This was the second art quilt I made and I'm very proud of it.  It was chosen to be included in an exhibit, curated by Ricky Tims (famous art quilter) called "Expressions:  The Art Quilt".  There were entries from around the world and those chosen for the exhibit toured the country for 2 years, ending with an exhibit at The National Quilt Museum in Paducah, KY, aka "Quilter's Heaven".  I actually got to make the trip to Paducah and see it hanging in the museum.  That was a very cool experience.

My "Portrait of Olivia" is based on one of Robin's great photos of oldest granddaughter, Olivia, at about age 1 1/2.  It has won several awards, including a 1st place and Theme Award at the 2010 North Carolina Quilt Symposium show.  The eyes are painted, but everything else is either fabric or thread.  Her hair was so much fun to do.

"Josie" is my middle granddaughter.  I took the photo this piece is based on when she was about 2 years old.  I made a lot of changes to the background.  Finding the John Deere green fabric for the tractor was my biggest challenge, but I really enjoyed "building" it.  This one is all fabric and thread.    It was awarded a Best of Show at a local quilt show.  She was also juried into the Denver Nat'l Quilt Festival and the AQS (American Quilt Society) show in Nashville.

Oops!  I don't know why the close-up is sideways.  I warned you I'm not good with technology.  I'll try to figure it out and fix it later.

Last, but certainly not least, is "Cowgirls Just Wanna Have Fun".  This is Sarah, the youngest, based on a photo by her Mom, Marla.  This is my latest portrait and I used a bit of paint and crayons to help with the shading on her arms and legs.  I love the bare feet and this really captures the real Sarah.

My apologies to Devin, who's still waiting to become a quilt.  I just don't have the right photo yet.

1 comment: