Friday, October 26, 2012

One More Show

Last Friday, I attended the Georgia Quilt Show north of Atlanta.  I had never been to this show and was impressed by the quality of entries and by the fact that they were from all over the country, as well as a few international entries.  It's not a huge show, but it was well done and well attended.

I had entered my "Cowgirls Just Wanna Have Fun" and was pleased that she received a third place award in the Small Wall Quilts category.  They don't have a separate category for art quilts, so there were lots of different types of quilts in the group--some pieced (a gorgeous miniature that took 1st place), some applique from patterns, and a good number of what I would call art quilts (original designs, realistic, representational, and abstract).

This is my entry--from a photo of Sarah, my youngest granddaughter.  The big brown UPS truck brought her home to me today--that's always a relief when they come home safely.

I was able to enjoy the show with my daughter, Marla, who had never been to a real quilt show before.  I think she was rather impressed with the amazing work on display.

Another highlight was a regional meeting of SAQA, which allowed me to meet several fellow art quilters from around Georgia.  That was a treat and I hope it won't be our last get-together.

I've just completed a Quilt of Valor, which I'll ship out in a few days (as soon as I get an assignment destination).  This is the only one I've made this year--wish I'd done more.  I still have to do the hardest part, which is to write something to the recipient.  That's always tough because you have no idea who you're writing to--man or woman, young or not so young.  But I think it's important to put some kind of message with the quilt to make it more personal.

I'm taking a class online with Lesley Riley on composition.  I hope it will help me have a bit more confidence in what I'm doing, especially when I do a piece and I know there's something not quite right about it, but I'm not sure what that something is--very frustrating. 

I received my copy of Machine Quilting Unlimited magazine this week with the photo of my "Smoky Mountain High" included in a piece about mountain-related art quilts.  It was a thrill to see my work published. 

No comments:

Post a Comment