Monday, October 1, 2012

Show Time

We're back from the Asheville Quilt Show.  I entered two pieces--no awards...sigh...It was a nice show--over 300 quilts and numerous vendors.  We drove up on Saturday--it's about a 5 hour drive--and made a stop in Hendersonville for apples.  They're the best.

We went to the show on Sunday morning, then drove up the Blue Ridge Parkway to the Folk Art Center.  It's a great collection of arts and crafts from the Southern Appalachian area.  There were lots of quilts and art quilts, pottery, wood carving, weaving, etc.  If you're ever in the area, be sure to visit.  And, of course, the parkway is wonderful--except the traffic was pretty heavy--but then, it was Sunday afternoon and close to a large city, so I guess that's to be expected.  The trees have just begun to show the fall colors, so the next couple of weeks should be peak time. 

We had a miserable, rainy drive home.  We do need the rain badly, but I hate driving in the dark when it's raining. 

The GA Nat'l Fair opens on Thursday of this week (Oct 4th) and runs through the 14th in Perry, GA.  I'll be going down at some point to see how my entries fared (no pun intended).  I have 3 art pieces in the Fine Art competition and 1 quilt in the quilt competition.

I'm so glad to see Fall arrive with cool mornings and warm (but not too warm) afternoons.  It's the perfect time of year, in my opinion, and then, there's the color.

Speaking of color, I took some of my hand-dyed fabric to my favorite local quilt shop (Sunday Best Quiltworks in Ellerslie) to see if Linda was interested in trying to sell some of them in the shop.  We had no sooner worked out an arrangement for her to take them on consignment when a lady came in and immediately bought a piece.  Then, a few minutes later, a second shopper came in and grabbed 2 pieces.  That left 5, so we hung them on a quilt rack to display them to their best advantage.  The next morning, Linda called to say that 2 more had sold--woohoo!  That means I can make some more--and that was the whole point of selling them.  I had to be able to justify doing more.

By the way, if you're interested, I'm making generous half yards (20" x width of fabric) and we're offering them at $15 each.  They are unique, one of a kind pieces--really suitable for framing, as is, but they present all kinds of possibilities for making your own art.  E-mail me if you'd like to know more.


No comments:

Post a Comment