Sunday, May 5, 2013

A Busy Time

Have you ever had a time when so many things were happening at once that you seemed frozen in place?  I like to think of myself as very organized, with everything under control, but lately things seem to be slipping out of my hands.  I know it's an illusion because I have all my check lists in place and all the boxes have been marked off, but I think it's the fear that I'll forget something important that has me in a tizzy. 

Of course the fact that I spent all last week battling an awful cold didn't help.  I don't do well with drugs, but it wasn't possible to get through the week without a decongestant and it made me feel as though I was moving in slow motion and everything around me was just a fog.  I think I slept more in the past seven days than I usually do in a month, and that's saying a lot, since sleeping is one of my favorite pastimes.  I know there are people who survive quite nicely on 4-5 hours a night, but I don't function well on less than 8-9 hours. 

On top of all that, June is fast approaching and it will be a crazy month.  My exhibit at the museum opens June 1st.  I have to deliver my piece to the Columbus Artists' Guild Member show on June 2nd, with the opening reception June 8th, and the two entries to the East Cobb Quilt Guild show are due June 9th. 

The CAG show is June 8 - 22nd and I'll be required to work one of those days.  The East Cobb show is June 14-16, so I'll have to be there on the 16th when the show closes to pick up my work.  Then, it's back to Columbus on the 23rd to retrieve that piece.  Whew! 

After that whirlwind, I'll take the three pieces from those shows and hang them at the museum, along with my other work.  July should be a piece of cake.

My biggest problem right now is that I'm not working on anything new.  I have some time, but I can't seem to get started.  Nothing is calling to me and I'm frustrated with myself.  Yesterday, I just wanted to be doing something, so I made 2 trivets from wrapped clothesline.  I've used that method in the past to do bowls/baskets and plates.  I like the process--it's very tactile and addictive.  And, I need the trivets to sit hot things on the table.  But, really, this is not making art--it's killing time.    At least I was in my studio, surrounded by all my "stuff".

One thing I have done lately is to make small pieces from the hand-dyed fabrics I've been creating.  My friend, Maryanne, who's a fabulous framer, gave me the idea to make tiny art quilts from pieces of the fabric, since it looks like abstract art.  She then cut mats for me and I've mounted the quilts on archival foam board.  The smallest one is 3" x 6" and the largest is 8" x 10".  I'm going to offer them for sale at the Columbus show.  I've really enjoyed making them since they're so small, they can be completed quickly and I've always liked instant gratification.  I used both the cotton and the linen dyed fabrics and I'm anxious to see how they look with the mats in place.  Maryanne has them now, so I'll make pictures to post when I get them back.

I promised photos in my last post, so I'm going to show you the pictures I based  my two new pieces on.  The picture of Grandma and Sarah was taken by Robin, my daughter in law.  The lotus is a picture I took last summer.  I'll post the art quilts later.

No comments:

Post a Comment