Wednesday, May 29, 2013

All Over But The Shoutin'

The day finally arrived after months of anticipation.  I went to Carrollton yesterday and hung my exhibit.  It was a long and tiring day, but so worth it.  I had great help from Beverly, Mary, and Jennifer--thank you all.  We worked from 10 a.m. til after 4 p.m.  Of course we took a lunch break and walked up to the square and had some great food at the Corner Cafe.

When we were finally done and all the pieces were hung, I just stood in the middle of this big (20' x 24') room, surrounded by my art.  There hangs 7 years of my life--from my first art quilt (Grand Slam) to my latest (The Lotus Pond).  It was somewhat surreal.  It's as if I have my own private art gallery.  I have never had the opportunity to view so much of my work at one time.  Sure, I've had 2 or 3 pieces in the same show, but they're surrounded by lots of other work and it's usually crowded together so that you can't really concentrate on just one thing.  I made sure there was plenty of "negative" space between each of my quilts so that each one can be seen individually.  I really don't like it when there's so much "stuff" to look at that you can't see anything--at least that's how my brain works.

It was also wonderful to be able to stand so far away from a piece and get a totally new perspective on it--then walk right up to it and see all the details.  To say I'm happy and excited would be an understatement.

I really hope there will be lots of people who will come and share this experience with me.  The show opens on Saturday, June 1st.  The museum will be open 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. and I will be there all day.  Heck, I may take a cot and move in. 

If you can't make it this Saturday, never fear.  The exhibit will be there through August 31st (also a Saturday).  The museum is located at 306 Bradley Street in Carrollton, GA.  It's just a block off the town square.  The hours are:

 Thursdays and Fridays 12 noon to 6 p.m.
Saturdays 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.

Ya'll come on down!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment